Software Developer (PHP)
£30,000 to £35,000 + 33 days holiday
A highly responsible and fulfilling role for a PHP application programmer with 2 years (minimum) hands on experience to join a Global Engineering Company offering long term career prospects and job security. You will be joining a small team passionate about software development you will have the opportunity to participate in the full stack development, testing and documentation of business critical applications.
• Software Design: Assists in the production of outline specifications for software design. Creates and documents logical designs for simple software applications or components, and contributes to the design of components of larger software systems. Translates logical design components into physical designs such as data flows, classes, file layouts, common routines and utilities, software specifications or prototypes.
• Database Design: Develops simple to moderately complex physical database design elements to meet business change or development project data requirements. Translates object and data models into appropriate data schemas and linked data schemas within design constraints. Implements physical database designs to support transactional data requirements for performance and availability.
• Programming/Software Development: Designs moderately complex programs/scripts and program modifications in accordance with requirements. Codes, amends and refactors moderately complex programs/scripts in accordance with the design. Verifies and tests moderately complex programs/scripts; corrects errors and re-tests as appropriate. Documents work in accordance with agreed standards. Applies version control in accordance with agreed procedures. May be involved in peer review activities such as pair programming.
• Application Security: Assist in implementing technical controls to mitigate and remediate risks and ensure compliance with applicable statutory and contractual obligations including secure-by-design and privacy-by-design principles.
• User Experience Design: Apply visual design and branding consistent with existing application design.
• Testing: Defines test conditions for given requirements, designs test cases and creates test scripts and supporting material. Interprets and executes sets of test scripts or cases using agreed methods and standards, checks test results and documents test failures and successes compared with pre-determined criteria.
• Application Support: Receives and log requests for application support into service desk tool – bug reports, new functionality and changes to existing functionality. Assist in the investigation and resolution of issues and problems relating to in-house developed applications. Work closely with more senior colleagues to assist with specified routine maintenance procedures, which may include making modifications to system parameters, devising permanent or temporary corrections and workarounds or enhancements, reconfiguring systems, maintaining application data, providing guidance or training to users, and creating or updating documentation. All work to be carried out and documented in accordance with required standards, methods and procedures. Under direction, assists in monitoring applications and collecting agreed performance statistics, and may assist in capturing user feedback for subsequent analysis. Monitors the progress of requests for application support and keeps users and other interested parties informed.
• Takes a logical, analytical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail.
• Appreciates the importance of commercial constraints. Has a methodical and systematic approach to work.
• Communicates effectively both in writing and verbally in English.
• Holds a bachelor’s degree (BSc) in a Computer Science subject with modules completed covering software engineering, object orientation, data structures and algorithms, data modelling and normalisation following SSADM, service oriented architecture, and the software development lifecycle.
• Minimum 2 years full-time employed PHP programming experience.
• Back-end programming proficiency in PHP and with MySQL’s query language.
• Experience and knowledge of REST API’s and micro-services, and CSV, JSON and XML data formats.
• Desirable: experience using any of VueJS, NodeJS and ElectronJS; familiarity with C#.Net application development.
For more information or for a confidential chat please forward your CV to John Hutchinson.